Jul. 22, 2021
Fitbit setup: How to get started with the app and your Fitbit
The first thing you'll do when you get your new Fitbit - whether it's a new Versa, Inspire HR, or Charge 3 – is set it up.
Whether you're new to Fitbit, attempting to set up a Fitbit without a phone, or replacing an old Fitbit with a new one, it should all be very simple to accomplish.
Read on for complete instructions on how to set up a Fitbit, including how to add a second device and how to set it up on a Mac or Windows PC.
How to get a Fitbit to work
You'll need an iPhone, Android smartphone, or PC that's compatible with the app – which you can double-check here. Then, search for the Fitbit app in the Google Play Store, Apple App Store, or Microsoft Store (for Windows phones and tablets) and download it to your device.
After that, you'll need to sign up, and then you'll be asked to tell Fitbit which device you want to pair with it.
Fitbit setup in a flash
1. Download the Fitbit app and then hit 'Join Fitbit' after it's finished.
2. Tap 'Set Up' after selecting the tracker you want to use.
3. Keep the Fitbit close to your device and follow the steps.
Note: You won't be able to use the Ionic or Versa until you connect your Fitbit to Wi-Fi. This enables faster updates, audio playback, and software downloads.
Fitbit may be set up on a PC.
If you want to set up your Fitbit without using your phone or tablet, you'll need to use Fitbit Connect, a free software app that lets you set up your tracker without using your phone.
However, if your computer doesn't have Bluetooth, you'll need to use the syncing dongle, which can be purchased through the Fitbit Store.
Follow the steps below to get started with Fitbit Connect:
1. Go to the Fitbit.com/setup page and scroll down to the part under "Don't have a mobile device?"
2. Install the software on your Mac or Windows computer.
3. When the download is finished, double-click the downloaded file to begin the installation process.
4. Select Set up a New Fitbit Device once the installation is complete.
5. Create a Fitbit account and connect your device by following the on-screen directions.
How to add a second or replacement Fitbit device
It's unlikely that you'll be able to quit after you've purchased one Fitbit gadget. You won't be satisfied until you have the entire Fitbit ecosystem, like a voracious fitness tracking monster. But, before you go crazy, you'll need to figure out how to add a second Fitbit to your collection, or even replace your existing one.
Unfortunately, you can't connect and sync more than one device type to the same Fitbit account at the same time. So, if you have a Fitbit Charge 3 and an Ionic, you won't be able to use them both at the same time. The Aria smart scales and Ace kids fitness trackers are the only exceptions to this rule.
To add or change a device in the Fitbit app for iOS or Android, follow these steps:
1. Open your smartphone and go to the Fitbit app.
2. Go to the upper left corner and tap the Account button.
3. Select Set Up a Device from the drop-down menu.
4. Select your new device and follow the on-screen directions for setup.
To add or replace a Fitbit Connect device, follow these steps:
1. On your Mac or Windows computer, click the Fitbit Connect icon.
2. Select the Main Menu option.
3. Select Set up a new Fitbit device from the drop-down menu.
4. Log in to your Fitbit account and choose Existing User.
5. Choose your device and follow the on-screen directions for setup.